James J. Peters VA Medical Center
Bariatric Surgery Program
About the Weight Loss Surgery Program
- The Weight loss (Bariatric) Surgery Program at the James J. Peters VAMC in Bronx, NY, is dedicated to assisting veterans achieve and maintain a healthier weight when traditional approaches to weight loss have been unsuccessful.
- We are the only Veteran's Affair Medical Center in VISN 3 to offer weight loss surgery to our veterans.
- Our surgeon, Dr. Daniel Stephens, is well experienced in this field and are available to answer your questions and concerns.
The Bariatric Surgery Program works in conjunction with MOVE (Managing Overweight and/or Obesity for Veterans Everywhere) to assist you with weight management through diet, education and exercise.
Benefits of weight loss surgery include improved obesity related illnesses such as Diabetes, Sleep Apnea and Hypertension.
Sleeve Gastrectomy Procedure
How to become a candidate
- Referral from your PCP (Primary Care Provider) is required.
- BMI > 40 or BMI >35 with significant co-morbid medical conditions: i.e. Diabetes, Hypertension, Severe Sleep Apnea, Gastroesophageal Reflux.
- Demonstrated attempts at prior weight loss and/or have failed more conservative weight loss alternatives, such as supervised diet (i.e. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig), exercise and behavior modification programs.
What to expect
- When a referral is received by the Bariatric Surgery Program:
- We will ask that you attend a mandatory informational seminar at the Bronx VAMC.
- We will call you to schedule an appointment to meet with one of our surgeons.
- The surgeon will let you know if you meet the initial criteria and/or if you might be a candidate for surgery.
- The pre-operative process will be explained including:
- The need for clearances from your PCP and/or other specialties (on an individual basis).
- Laboratory testing (blood work)
- Diagnostic tests (x-rays)
- TeleMOVE! Program participation for 3 months
- You will be required to meet with a Registered Dietitian and a Psychiatrist/Psychologist at the James J. Peters Bronx VAMC for pre-op evaluation.
- You will also be informed about what to expect during your hospital stay, post-operative follow-up requirements with the bariatric team, nutrition and your PCP and information about our support group.
Page Content Providers: Lydia Keogh and Heather Perillo
- Suite G, 2nd Floor
- 718-584-9000 Ext. 5966
- 718-584-9000 Ext. 5956
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm