James J. Peters VA Medical Center
We've listed some of the ways you can volunteer below. However, if you have special skills to offer, please call us so we can discuss how you can best use your talents to help our patients.
- Volunteer Van Drivers / DAV Transportation Program
- Help pick-up outpatients receiving chemotherapy, dialysis, radiation therapy, and other outpatient appointments. To fill this role, you must have a current drivers license and automobile insurance and pass a physical exam.Â For more information contact DAV at (718) 584-9000, extension 3653.
- Volunteer Office Assistant
- Help different medical or administrative offices in the medical center. Duties include filing, answering phones, and greeting and directing patients.Â Â
- Eagle Wings Patient Escort
- Provide assistance with pushing patients in wheelchairs to their scheduled appointments. Â Open hours.Â Â
- Feeding Program
- Provide feeding assistance to the patients.Â Training will be provided.Â Â
- Adopt a Unit Program
- Volunteers will talk to patients on a regular basis, help them write letters, and provide grooming kits to different units.Â Â