James J. Peters VA Medical Center
Get the New Year Off to a Healthy Start!
Heather Perillo, Registered Dietitian and JJP MOVE! Coordinator says: The New Year is a great time to focus on adopting a healthier lifestyle! To get the ball rolling I suggest setting goals for yourself. Some quick tips:
• Make sure your goals are realistic! Making unachievable goals is discouraging, instead try for a more realistic approach.
• Be specific and write it down! Stepping on the scale and writing down your weight weekly will help you to stay on track. Consider keeping a food and exercise journal (remember to include portion sizes and duration of exercise).
• Create new habits! Setting goals that can become part of your routine will be the key to your success. Try taking the stairs to/from your office or appointment!
• Set a timeframe! When would you like to achieve your goals? For a long term plan, create smaller goals along the way to help you stay focused.
• Rebound from splurges! Don't give up after a splurge/special occasion. Get yourself back on track!
If weight loss is your goal, ask your Primary Care Provider for a referral to the MOVE! Program. Good luck! And let us know how you're doing!